Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Wow Unit 8 Already & My Favorites...

     Welcome Classmates and any others reading my Blog this week. Physically this past week has been a bit tough. I spent 4 hours in the Emergency Department on Saturday having a pretty bad asthma attack, turns out I have a raging case of bronchitis. What is interesting about this is at the ER I saw a PA(physicians assistant) rather than the MD. After doing the usual gambit of tests and meds (steroids, nebulizers, chest x-ray, blood tests) I was somewhat better and the process of sending me home with the condition of bed rest for several days commenced. In addition to my instructions for bed-rest for a few days along with instructions on taking my nebulizer treatments and steroids, she told me to drink tea and to check into Butyeko Breathing. I was to say the very least shocked. Here I am in a ER facility and I actually got advice that was unconventional. It was a treat and just wanted to share it with you all. AND the research on Buteyko Breathing is paying off as well!

     As for class this week, our assignment asks us to review the exercises and practice sessions we have completed in this course and choose two practices that we thought to be most helpful. Then discuss how it can be implement in my own life to foster mental fitness. For me the two I would choose would be the Subtle Mind exercise and the Visualization Exercises from Chapter 14 in Integral Health. Both of these exercises were easy and produced feelings of calm relaxation, happiness, and well-being afterwards. In fact the Subtle Mind exercise has become a weekly part of my meditation practices. The latter of the two, the Visualization exercises from the text will also be added to my rotation of meditative practice. I love this one for so many reasons. For me after the exercise I felt calm, happy, as well as a sense of intention and purpose on what obstacles I need to tackle to fully enjoy complete health, happiness, and wholeness. Continuing to use these two exercises can aid me in continuing a contemplative practice that fosters mental fitness with other physical, and also spiritual benefits.

Brandy

3 comments:

  1. Brandy,

    I hope you are feeling better. That is something that you don't see hardly at all a PA that gives you the unconventional treatment as well as a conventional treatment. I am glad that the visualization exercises worked for you. I just couldn't get them to work for me. I guess I am more into the meditation. I hope that I can get into doing these weekly I am hoping for daily but I think that a weekly routine will help my stress and getting everything ready for the future. Good luck to you and all that you do.

    Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry you have been unwell and hope you recover quickly! That is so cool that the PA recommended more than drugs. Were you able to talk to her about it at all – do you know if she often recommends nonconventional treatments? I also choose the Subtle Mind exercise and have been doing it at least once a week. Well, again, I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandy,

    Great blog, I am sorry to hear that you have been sick and I hope you feel better soon. I am interested in looking into the Buteyko breathing just to see what it is about. I am a big fan on CAM (
    complementary alternative meds) I took a class in this and it was amazing. I think that is wonderful that th PA suggested something other than a convential method. Get better.

    ReplyDelete